Rob Mills

Don't have a whole house protector but think it's a good idea. I do use
those strip surge protectors on just about everything. One time I had two in
series and we caught a powerline overload and the first protector basically
exploded, burned the carpet it was sitting on but a police scanner,
shortwave radio and tel answering machine connected to it survived. The
second surge protector which had a computer and printer hooked to it went
untouched.
These were standard "metal cased" MOV (metal oxide varistor) 5 outlet
surge protectors. I'm convinced we would have had a house fire if the surge
protectors had been encased in a plastic rather than metal. RM ~