Bushy Pete

I just cut a couple of stands to fit the tractor, car or whatever I'm
working on with the chainsaw while I'm cutting firewood. Use a solid enough
piece of timber to make a good stand, and they roll when they are tipped
over on their side so you can put them back in the shed.

The tractor is 3 ton, the dozer shovel is 4 ton, so I choose good thick logs
to cut them from. You could probably find something good to work with and
get it cut to size at your local sawmill, or get some old recycled house
stumps or bridge timbers. Make sure they are wide enough to support the car
with the sideways forces that you will apply with a spanner on tight bolts.

As another poster said, don't use bricks, concrete blocks or similar as they
can crumble and collapse. You do not want to be underneath something heavy
trying to hold it up with the side of your head......

Hope this helps,
Peter

"Ignoramus3635" wrote in message
On Sat, 9 Jul 2005 10:14:31 -0300, jtaylor

wrote:
I have a small (=light) car that will need a lot of work done. It would

be
easier if it was off the ground by more than the height those car stands

you
get at the auto stores can do.

So I'm thinking of making some stands from wood, and jacking it up in

stages
onto them. Has anyone done this, and are there any pitfalls (a

particularly
appropriate term) of which I should be aware?

I would make them from solid wood (say, pieces of 10" boards screwed
together).