Doug Kanter

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Doug Kanter wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Buck Turgidson wrote

Utter nonsense. The bad mileage is due to the boxy shape
and high weight. Put a smaller, weaker engine in one, and
it might get *worse* mileage - or it might not move at all.

It'll move alright, just have lousy acceleration.

Allow me to parse your assertion: Are you saying
that the boxy shape (i.e. aerodynamics) is the primary
cause (you listed it first) of bad gas mileage for SUVs?

Kanter's right - we shouldn't touch the safety issue.

No he's not, thats the reason so many choose to buy SUVs, because
they FEEL safer in them, even when they are actually less safe.

I didn't comment on the truth of the safety myth. (Wait - I think I just
commented). But, in fact, I believe many drivers, females especially,
think they can substitute extra metal for developing better driving
skills,

Nope, they just feel safer because they sit higher.

Survey? You keep repeating this mantra.