Doug Kanter

"HeyBub" wrote in message

And where do you think the refrain "...to the shores of Tripoli..." comes
from? We were at war with Muslims withing the first 25 years of our
existence.

" Tripolitania was one of the outposts for the Barbary pirates who raided
Mediterranean merchant ships or required them to pay tribute. In 1801, the
pasha of Tripoli raised the price of tribute, which led to the Tripolitan
war with the United States. When the peace treaty was signed on June 4,
1805, U.S. ships no longer had to pay tribute to Tripoli. "

Is that the war you're referring to? It was a war over money, called
"tribute" in this example. It had nothing to do with Islamic anything, any
more than a mafia don's catholic upbringing has to do with his insistence
that some profits get kicked upstairs.