Doug Kanter

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

And, offer 4wd versions for people who explicitly ask for them. I don't
think many will.

Sure, but you wont get any real improvement in fuel efficiency your way.

I don't agree, and neither do the three mechanics at the shop I've been
using for years, but it's not worth debating. It's enough to say that if you
add a hundred pounds of rotating parts to a drive train, and they do nothing
most of the time, there MUST be some effect. Maybe not as large as I
suspect, but greater than zero.

The only thing that will do anything much about the consumers
choose fuel efficient cars is to let the price of fuel increase until the
cost of the fuel has a real impact on consumer's car buying decisions.

That's the real problem, isn't it? People say "I don't mind the low gas
mileage on this thing I drive. I can afford the gas." In fact, they should
be saying "Indirectly, my son died in Iraq to protect the oil supply which
we wouldn't need (someday) if our dicks weren't so wrapped up in the kinds
of cars we drive".