Doug Kanter

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Buck Turgidson wrote

Utter nonsense. The bad mileage is due to the boxy shape
and high weight. Put a smaller, weaker engine in one, and
it might get *worse* mileage - or it might not move at all.

It'll move alright, just have lousy acceleration.

Allow me to parse your assertion: Are you saying
that the boxy shape (i.e. aerodynamics) is the primary
cause (you listed it first) of bad gas mileage for SUVs?

Kanter's right - we shouldn't touch the safety issue.

No he's not, thats the reason so many choose to buy SUVs, because
the FEEL safer in them, even when they are actually less safe.

I didn't comment on the truth of the safety myth. (Wait - I think I just
commented). But, in fact, I believe many drivers, females especially, think
they can substitute extra metal for developing better driving skills, and
maybe even (god forbid) PUTTING DOWN THE DAMNED CELL PHONE.