Jerry.

Default Query: Legality of Electrical work

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Sat, 22 May 2004 08:48:16 +0100, "Stephen Dawson"
wrote:

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message

I wonder if an alternative is to have an 'electrical driving test'

where
householders have to attend (evening?) classes and pass a written and
practical examination which authorises them to undertake limited
electrical
maintenance in the home, with any major work supervised and checked

by
qualified person.

snip
Yes there is, it takes two years and is called a City & Guilds.

For the purpose of a large number of things that are done in home
environments, something much simpler than this would be perfectly
adequate.

Quite.
Isn't there a rant a bit further upstream on this very topic - people
suggesting that an average DIYer shouldn't be touching such stuff and it
should all be handled by a 'professional'?

I don't think that is what's been said or implied, more like 'If you don't
understand get a professional to do the work, don't just carry on
regardless'. Some of the questions asked show how some really do just carry
on regardless - even to the extent of blowing fuses and leaving the system
in a worse state that it was before (we all know which thread I'm referring
to).

I assume the C&G comment was serious and not 'tongue in cheek'.
You might need a C&G qualification to tackle someone elses electrics, but
that is a seperate issue.

You might not need a C&G qualification but you DO need to understand what
such a course would teach those studying it (in relation to what you are
doing) - if you don't, how do you know you have do the work correctly ?

Perhaps we should have a constitution like the US - with the right to bear
hammer drills :-)

But they have no right to kill with their gun, just as we have no right to
kill with our hammer drills.....