Prometheus

On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 05:57:16 -0400, Leo Van Der Loo
wrote:

Hi Prometheus

Saw your pic. of the knob, pretty sharp, the cherry might not look any
better, when you're done with it
Did you get the size and the TPI for the shift knob ?
Most of the threads used on the cars today are metric, the simplest way
to find the thread size is to take your shift knob to HD and find a bold
that fits, than get nut and glue it into your new knob, just my thinking.

Nah, I went with just threading it on. It's slightly larger than
3/8", so I drilled a pilot hole with a forsner bit, and then screwed
it on slowly, backing it off every couple of turns to clear the dust-
the oak took the thread impressions really well, and it wasn't going
anywhere. I might spend a bit of time trying some nuts from my jar of
random nuts & bolts for the cherry one, but I'm not sure it'd need it.
After all, if it strips out, I can always drill it out and epoxy a nut
in later.