lionslair at consolidated dot net

Don Stauffer wrote:

misterpaslow wrote:

Eric R Snow wrote in
:

I was using a chisel to remove, by scraping, foam tape from aluminum
frames. I was listening to the radio through headphones while doing
this. An FM station if that matters. Anyway, sometimes I could hear
the tape separating from the aluminum. I thought the tape must be
making a lot of sound if I could hear it through the headphones.
Removing them only made the process silent. Putting them back on I
could hear the hiss again. I think that there must be a charge being
released when the glue is scraped away from the substrate.
ERS

Did it sound anything like the file at this link?
http://home.earthlink.net/~lenyr/alsounds.htm

If it did, the aluminum was actually broadcasting
(The adhesive would have been acting as the electrolyte, your chisel
as the dissimilar metal)
-----------------
-----------------

There is a form of electricity called triboelectricity. It is related
to friction, but can indeed be induced when seperating adhesive
surfaces. Usually it is more intense with tape on a non-conductor. Try
removing a good tape from a surface in a completely dark room. You may
well see sparks and a plasma-like glow.

Yep - did a paper on the subject. Try good 'ole standard 3-M magic tape.
zaps nicely.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn