Don Klipstein

In article , Andy Hill wrote:
Mark Modrall wrote:
I've been trying to replace a lot of bulbs in my house with cfls, and
while they always boast of being longer lasting and more cost efficient,
I've noticed that they tend to blow out at a much higher rate than
incandescent. Would there be something in my wiring contributing to
that? Or have I just picked bad brands? In some sockets, I've found
that my insulation isn't great; could a cold breeze be shortening the
life?

I like the idea of cfl but given how much more they cost and how
quickly they burn out in this house, it ends up being much more costly
to use them.

It may be usage pattern (CFLs don't like a lot of turn on / turn off),
or it may be brand. I've had a lot better luck with Sylvania or
Phillips than with Lights of America or Commercial Electric.

Also keep in mind:

1. CFLs, especially ones that blink during starting or start truly
instantly and then make a distinct sharp minor jump in brightness 1/4-1/3
second later as if "shifting gears", do not do well when on-time per start
is short. This includes dollar store models in general and Lights of
America's older "Q-Lites" (having the harsh instant start method). This
also includes most with 2-pin bulbs in general, plus a few older heavier
weight screw-in models such as GE's older maybe obsolete FLB-15 and FLG-15
(These have "glow switch start" and usually blink during starting).
I would generally avoid these in refrigerators, closets, motion sensor
lights, and bathrooms that are mostly used for short trips. I would also
avoid ones having harsher starting method in any other situations where
average runtime per start is not at least several minutes.

2. CFLs don't take heat buildup as well as incandescents, and are less
able than incandescents to radiate away their heat as infrared.
Most screw-in CFLs of wattage more than 13, maybe 18 watts have
shortened life in recessecd ceiling fixtures, small enclosed fixtures and
small fixtures that open only downward (such as ceiling fan lights).
The Philips SLS 15 and 20 watt ones, especially the 15 watt one, are
better than most other screw-in models for taking heat in such fixtures.

Ones of wattage more than 23 watts are even more vulnerable to heat in
heat-buildup areas.

- Don Klipstein )