Andy Hill

Mark Modrall wrote:
I've been trying to replace a lot of bulbs in my house with cfls, and
while they always boast of being longer lasting and more cost efficient,
I've noticed that they tend to blow out at a much higher rate than
incandescent. Would there be something in my wiring contributing to
that? Or have I just picked bad brands? In some sockets, I've found
that my insulation isn't great; could a cold breeze be shortening the
life?

I like the idea of cfl but given how much more they cost and how
quickly they burn out in this house, it ends up being much more costly
to use them.

It may be usage pattern (CFLs don't like a lot of turn on / turn off), or it may
be brand. I've had a lot better luck with Sylvania or Phillips than with
Lights of America or Commercial Electric.