Paul

Default Shed Electrics

(Lurch) wrote in message ...
On 21 May 2004 08:09:02 -0700, in uk.d-i-y
(Paul)
strung together this:

1. I'm going to use a spare 20Amp 'B' type MCB on the non-RCD
protected side of the CU using 4mm T+E cable. Can I use normal T+E
cable for the first 8m (up to the outside of the house) and then
connect it using a junction box, to 8m of SWA 4mm cable to the shed?

Yep, all looking good so far.

2. I was planning to place the RCD spur unit inside the shed at the
end of the SWA cable. Can I then continue the radial circuit using
normal 4mm T+E or could I use a Fused Connection Unit after the RCD
and continue with 2.5mm T+E?

Why not use a 'garage unit'. A 25A RCD with a 16A and 6A MCB. Run the
lighting in 1mm from the 6A and the power in 2.5mm from the 16A.
(screwfix.com Cat No. 63138).

SNIP

I like the idea of using a garage unit - so much tidier!

Could I still use the 4mm SWA (3 core) to this consumer unit? Also,
taking into account that I need to run another 15m of cable from the
shed to the top of my garden for the pond pump and weatheproof socket,
do I need to provide the shed CU with it's own earth rod? If so what
is the correct proceedure to install one?

Paul