CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

w_tom wrote:
Three electric wires enter your house. One connects to
earth ground. How are the other two wires earthed? Not
earthed if a 'whole house' protector is not properly
installed. Two of the three AC electric wires (not earthed by
a 'whole house' protector) carry destructive surges (such as
lightning) into a building; finding earth ground,
destructively, via household appliances. In most homes, only
one of three AC electric wires is earthed. In some homes,
even that ground is missing or compromised.

Well the electrical code should be such that these 3 wires are always
present together. A strike is going to prefer the 'earthed' wire over
the ones not earthed. Even if you install a surge device, the 'earthed'
wire is still going to be the easier path to ground.

Its a surge protector, not a lightning protector. It will protect you
to some degree from a borked transformer or some odd occurance likely
generated local to your neighborhood (Frankenstein). It will absolutely
not offer any protection from lightning strikes, direct or indirect.

It has been routine for generations to earth direct
lightning strikes without damage. However homes were not
designed to protect transistors. Unfortunately we still build
new homes without superior and inexpensive earthing. So we do
the best we can as an after thought. Still that after thought
is sufficient to earth direct strikes without damage. But
that means every wire - all three electric - both telephone
wires, etc - make a short connection to the same earth ground
either by direct connection or via a surge protector.

"CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert" wrote:

Lightning will utterly obliterate a surge protector.

--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert