Patch

Lots of replies imply that grounding will handle a lightning strike,
especially mentioned is grounding the satellite dish.

You need to understand that grounding a dish, or almost anything else,
does nothing to mitigate a lightning strike. If you're struck, you're
toast. No piddly #12 wire is going to handle 50,000 amps at (up to)
millions of volts.

What these ground rods do - also lightning rods - is act as a preventative
to lightning by discharging the positive earth charges into the
surrounding atmosphere - an invisible shield around the device - satellite
dish or lightning rod. This shield, however, can be penetrated by a
sufficiently large lighting bolt.

So, then, get a lighting rod up (or more than one) and individually
protect each critical device plugged into the mains.

Good luck.

PS
If you live in a mobile home, nothing helps. Mobile homes attract
tornados, lighting, and stray dogs.
I'm leaning towards lightning rods. Yesterday I found a 3 ft long, 3 in
wide piece of wood in my yard while mowing. It was the same color as my
house. I started looking to see where it came from and saw damage at the
very top of the roof. A one foot area had missing shingles & wood along the
eave was splintered as though a pipe bomb had gone off. Next question,
where do you buy lightning rods?

Thanks