Harry K

Harry K wrote:
RD wrote:
Good call, Harry. I had a plumber out today. He said the tank is
definitely waterlogged (fortunately for me the tank is still under
warranty). More disturbing, however, is that pressure is lost even
when the water to the house is shut off. As you surmised, there's a
leak somewhere between the well-pump and my basement where the tank is
located. I have no check valve in the basement and this probably
allowed me to notice the loss of pressure when the house water supply
is shut off.

Any thoughts on what I can expect in the way of finding the leak?
cost? excavation?

Thanks,
RD

Well that is unusual. I never thought that it would be -both-
problems.

As for finding the leak: as Duane says, most likely (hopefully) it is
in the well piping if it is galvanized, pin holed, corroded etc. You
can try listening with an accoustic device (stethoscope type) along the
pipe route between house and well. If it is there you -might- be able
to hear it. Also look for suspicious wet or unusually green spots
along the route.

Good luck.

Harry K

Forgot to add about about cost and excavation. I have no idea as I
don't know what your local soil condition is or your physical
abilities. When I had a total pipe blow out (corroded galvanised), I
dug clear across my lot (200 ft) myself - no luck. Finally had to rent
a ditch which and replace the entire water line for 1/4 mile to the
community well. Cost not that bad but then it only invlolved the cost
of the pipe plus rental, no labor as I didn't count my time. Had I
contracted it...

Going through top/subsoil that isn't too rocky you can dig an amazing
footage of ditch with nothing but a shovel, even if you aren't in great
shape (I was in average condition).

If it is a corroded pipe problem, don't just fix the area with the
hole. Replace the entire pipe. The remaining old pipe will also leak
soon if you don't do that.

Harry K