HeyBub

Patch wrote:
Is there some way to protect a house from lightning strikes? We got
whacked last week & have a lot of damaged electronic goodies. I don't
want to go through this again! It struck my 10 ft satellite dish &
came into the house & got into the mains panel. From there it went to
every circuit in the house. I have 2 GFI circuits in the house and
they both tripped and nothing on those circuits was damaged. That's
why I asked about something that could cover the entire house.

Thanks

Lots of replies imply that grounding will handle a lightning strike,
especially mentioned is grounding the satellite dish.

You need to understand that grounding a dish, or almost anything else, does
nothing to mitigate a lightning strike. If you're struck, you're toast. No
piddly #12 wire is going to handle 50,000 amps at (up to) millions of volts.

What these ground rods do - also lightning rods - is act as a preventative
to lightning by discharging the positive earth charges into the surrounding
atmosphere - an invisible shield around the device - satellite dish or
lightning rod. This shield, however, can be penetrated by a sufficiently
large lighting bolt.

So, then, get a lighting rod up (or more than one) and individually protect
each critical device plugged into the mains.

Good luck.

PS
If you live in a mobile home, nothing helps. Mobile homes attract tornados,
lighting, and stray dogs.