Stephen Dawson

Default Query: Legality of Electrical work

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message

"Peter" wrote in message
Hi
Many good points.
Just to clarify - I do consider myself pretty competent and have done

three
total rewires incl designing the circutry and putting in the consumer

units
but had them tested and certified before going live!!

My main concern is what do insurance companies think of diy and their
attitude when something goes wrong as it inevitably must if many people
alter electrical systems.

Putting in the odd socket may be alright - or is it? what happens if

there
is a problem?

It is often difficult to get an electrician to do a simple job as one
socket. Are electricians that do small jobs such as this fully certified

and
have insurance? Should people ensure that they do?

Is it time to bring in a similar scheme to the gas CORGI?

I think one reason the rules are more stringent for gas is that a duff
electrical installation can injure or kill an individual, or more rarely
cause a fire which will gut a house, but a duff gas installation can cause
an explosion which will take out a block of flats.

Granted that a fire can also take out a block of flats, but with smoke
alarms and time to spread, there is usually time to evacuate.

A gas explosion has a more immediate (instant) impact.

Faulty gas heating appliances are also more likely to kill than faulty
electrical appliances - and CO poisoning strikes at a distance from the
appliance. There are no safety fuses for gas.

Interesting to contemplate what and how much you could do in the home if
regulation came in.
Presumably you couldn't change any switches, sockets or light fittings but
all these would have to be fitted by electricians.
Sale of adapters, extension leads and distribution boards banned because
this could result in an unsafe electrical configuration?
I think that the average householder is far more likely to want to change

an
electrical configuration thatn a gas configuration.
The number of gas appliances is generally far less than the number of
electrical outlets, especially when you include lighting circuits.

I wonder if an alternative is to have an 'electrical driving test' where
householders have to attend (evening?) classes and pass a written and
practical examination which authorises them to undertake limited

electrical
maintenance in the home, with any major work supervised and checked by a
qualified person.

Cheers
Dave R

Yes there is, it takes two years and is called a City & Guilds.