Bud

Pagan wrote:
"blueman" wrote in message

Is it allowed to run both 110v wire (either THHN or Romex) and low
voltage alarm wire (e.g., 4 conductor 22 gauge) in the same 1/2" rigid
metal conduit?

I probably will have one 2-conductor #14 Romex wire for overhead
garage light plus a couple of alarm cables for the window, door, and
heat sensors.

In my city you can't, and Brinks (who's brand alarm I have) wouldn't install
in the same conduit as line voltage.

There's probably very good reasons for this, the main ones I'm thinking of
is interference with the low voltage devices, and inexperienced
do-it-yourselfers getting zapped by the line voltage wires by mistaking them
for the LV wires.

There are at least three things I can think of to do what you want.

You can use wireless alarm sensors. Not my favorite idea, but many folks
like them.

You can run another conduit specifically for low voltage devices. That's
what I did when I renovated my patio, using 1" conduit. I can run CAT 5,
coax, alarm, LV, and anything else I want except line voltage, which has
it's own conduit.

You can run the low voltage wires underground without conduit. You can use
either low voltage or line voltage wire that's rated for underground burial,
and use metal conduit from underground to inside your house and garage,
which should make any code inspector happy.

The last two depends on the construction around your garage, of course. If
you can do both, I suggest the separate conduit, where in the future you can
run additional wiring with ease, and they'll be protected from moisture and
such.

Pagan

Sounds like good advice. Asuming the National Electrical Code applies,
this is not permitted with separate wires. With cables it is up to the
Authority Having Jurisdiction (ispspector) who, I think, would not be
happy.

As noted the line voltage circuit could produce noise in the LV cable
through capacitive and inductive coupling.

Bud--