Roger Taylor

Subject: hanging pictures on a plaster wall

Is there any advice regarding hanging pictures on old plaster walsl.
Will the standard small nail and clasp work, or should i do something
differently. The house is 105 years old. No dry wall, just plaster that
seems a bit brittle at best. Any suggestions would be welcome. thanks.
janet

The plaster will be about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick, laid over 1/4x1 1/2 inch
lath, with spaces in between. I drill a pilot hole at an inclined angle -
the angle of the picture hook nail - but use a bit that is smaller than the
diameter of the nail attached to the hook. I drill several holes a half
inch apart in a vertical line till I know from the wood shavings and "feel"
that I have hit a lath, then pound the oversize nail into the hole, spackle
the woodless holes. Works great, and won't work itself loose, as it can if
you drill and hang the picture between the laths..