Luke

On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 20:35:24 GMT, Ivan Drucker
wrote:

Please forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong group, using the wrong
vocabulary, or asking questions that have been asked before -- I'm
really know very little about this and I researched as best I could
before asking!

We are restoring our apartment, and we decided to keep our vintage glass
doorknobs. Unfortunately, the roses (the metal donut which the knob sits
in -- do I have the name correct?) that we have are flimsy and cruddy
looking. We tried to buy new roses from Rejuvenation Hardware, and found
some nice ones, but the opening is too small to accomodate the doorknobs
-- the opening is 5/8 inch, whereas the original roses have an opening
of 11/16 inch.

My question is, what our our options? Is it possible to find roses with
the larger opening anywhere, and if so where? (I guess salvage stores
are one place to look, but we've tried every store in New York...)
Another option we were considering was having the ones that we have
cleaned up and refinished, but it would be nice to get new ones...

Second question: we need new keyhole covers for the keyholes in the
mortise locks. The keyholes won't actually be used but they're part of
the look, of course. Is there a good place online (or elsewhere) to look
for these?

In addition to the good suggestions you've gotten, check the Old House
Journal Restoration Directory:
http://www.oldhousejournal.com/resto.../rd_home.shtml
Look under "Hardware & Architectural Metals, doorknobs & escutcheons":
http://www.restoremedia.net/action.l...rodCode=050100

And as another poster suggested, you may find it worth while to
refinish your current roses/escutcheons. Depending on what's "cruddy"
on them, paint remover or just fine (000 or 0000) steel wool may
remove the crud, then spray lacquer or brush on varnish to preserve
the shine.

--
Luke
"Bush wanted to remove Saddam, through military action, justified by
-- The Downing Street Memo, July 23, 2002
http://www.downingstreetmemo.com