Jim Elbrecht

On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 08:08:42 -0400, "HotRod"
wrote:

I have a friend that is dropping an old barn with some really nice heavy
timber. I want to use the heavy timber as the corner posts etc. for a large
deck I'm building. I know it's overkill but I'm doing it for the look not
the strength. The only question I have right now is what is the best way to
treat the lumber so that it will not rot out? IDEAS?

Those beams could be anything from white pine [which won't last long
no matter what you do] to black locust. [which will last 100 years
with no treatment.] What part of the world you live in & the age
of the barn might be clues, but it isn't likely give you much more
than a guess of what kind of lumber you have.

Chances are your local codes will require pressure treated for the
posts anyway.

I think you'd be better off selling the beams to someone who will use
them inside and buy some big PT & distress it yourself.

Jim