Daremo

Default St Augustine grass problem

I got a load of compost from my dad's horse ranch, made from Arabian horse
dung and hay and clippings and the like. He warned me that it was very
"rich", but I got it and put it all over my lawn anyway. Well, now it is
all brown, and the areas I put more compost on are the brownest. I guess I
"burned" it. I've been watering profusely (every other day, as we've had
over 23 days of over 90 degrees temp w/o rain) in hopes of bringing it back.
It is St. Augustine, and I live in North Austin Texas. The soil is very
clay-ish, and I can see roots of the grass in runners that evidently have to
place to go. Is there anything I can do to salvage this grass? I cannot
afford to replant or re-sod right now. This is my first lawn (obviously!)
and I need help.

Thanks

Daremo