Ron in NY

"Dave Schwartz" wrote:

All of a sudden, this season, when the pump stops running, I get a backwards
flow of water through the skimmer, bringing along with it some diatomaceous
earth from the filter which then gets into the pool and ends up on the
bottom. Never had this problem before. Other than that, the system still
works fine. Any thoughts as to what's happening?

--
Dave Schwartz
Commack, NY

Hi Dave,

Most pool filters have an antt-backflow valve that prevents water from
going the wrong way. On my Hayward EC-40, it's located at the water inlet to the
filter (where the pump is connected to). Mine broke many years ago, but I have
an above ground pool, and the water would have to travel up hill for the DE to
get to the skimmer. You didn't mention if yours is above or in ground, but I
would guess that it is an in ground pool, and your DE is going downhill. If it's
a Hayward, the valve is replaceable, but I think it is glued in place, and you
would have to totally dissassemble the filter to get to it. You can check if it
is still there, by blocking both the skimmer and the return pipes, and uncouple
the pump from the filter. Stick your finger into the filter and you should feel
a hinged piece of plastic that flaps up & down. If you don't feel it, then
that's your problem.

RON
Remove the ZZZ from my E-mail address to send me E-mail.