Joseph Meehan

Dave Schwartz wrote:
How does heat cause a ground fault to trip?

I am not suggesting that heat is causing the ground fault to trip,
although I guess that might be possible, but rater I suspect that heat is
causing a ground fault that trips the GFI. Metal expands and if there is a
close fault, the metal expanding could bridge the gap.

Dave Schwartz
Commack, NY

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
. ..
Dave Schwartz wrote:
I have a series of 5 or 6 120V AC patio lights, controlled by a
ground fault which has been working fine for years. Now, this
season, after 1-2 hours, the ground fault trips, and I cannot
reset it for hours. If there was a short, it would trip
immediately, right? What would be the condition that would cause
it to trip a few hours later, and then not reset? Thanks

It would appear that something is causing a ground fault (not a
short) based on heat. Something may be expanding as it heats up and
causing the ground fault. Try removing some of the lamps from the
circuit and see it it still happens. You may be able to do it by
just removing the bulbs or you may need to disconnect the wires.

It is also possible the GF unit is defective and needs to be
replaced.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit