Ken Moiarty

Oh, I really have disturbed a bees nest! g

Ken

"RicodJour" wrote in message
oups.com...
wrote:
I don't think Goedjn was commenting on the morality of doing inferior

work [...]

I [the OP] didn't take him to be commenting in any way on "morality" in
any way. My comment was simply to convey my personal distaste for
builders and/or other vendors, even other consumers, etc, who are just
plain "cheap". IOW, what's wrong with a little "class"? I will accept
however, that most people don't care to possess much in the way of this
quality. So I am well out-voted by the majority here.

How does "class" enter into it? I'm not sure what you could mean by
that. Do you mean that a builder should just throw in all sorts of
extras and upgrades for free to show he has class?

You wrote:
"Rant: For a home that sold for hundreds of thousands of dollars, you'd
think
the builder could've been a little more liberal budgetwise and built
the
house to higher spec."

The builder didn't set prices for the materials he bought, the
subcontractors he used, the land in your area, etc., etc. He set the
sale price for the house based on what he thought the market would
bear. If he, or a subsequent owner that you purchased it from, had
priced it higher you might not have bought it, or it might not have
sold at all. It's a balancing act. If the builder was a fly by night,
or cut every imaginable corner, this should have shown up when you were
doing your research.

Since you bought the house, you must have felt it was a good value at
the time, based on your research into the housing market in your area.
From your personal distaste comment above about cheapness, you couldn't

have been afraid to spend the necessary money. So how did the building
all of a sudden become cheaply made?

Obviously it didn't change from when you had it inspected and made your
offer. You did have it professionally inspected, right? If the house
is as shoddily built as you say, I'm surprised that the inspector
didn't steer you away from the house you're in.

I'm not sure if this is the first home you've bought, but it sounds
like you've come to realize that you now have higher expectations for
your house, and have learned more about how houses are built.

Looking on the bright side, with the market the way it is, your house
is probably increasing in equity value fairly rapidly - regardless of
the way it was built.