Matt Whiting

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 15:24:17 GMT, "Ken Moiarty"
wrote:

Background: I'm trying to modify my attic a little bit in order to store
some things up there. Currently I'm busy fastening 3/4" plyboard over the
ceiling rafters (so objects to be stored won't crash thru the drywall
ceiling). However movement/activity up there is hampered by the fact that
the roof is supported by factory produced 2x4 trusses, as these are composed
of many cross members that switch back-and-forth at oblique angles between
the upper and lower rafter sections of each truss. It would certainly make
my attic storage efforts easier if some of these cross-members could somehow
be removed out of the way (that is... in such a way as to not compromise the
structural integrity of my roof, of course).

Therefore I'm requesting feedback on the following idea: 'Sistering' (i.e.
reinforcing with) 2x6s to the topmost rafters, followed by removal of some
of the supporting cross-members of said trusses. Not being a carpenter or
structural engineer of any kind, I'm seeking informed comments/advice from
others before going further with this.

Thanks.

Ken

This is the main reason I would NEVER build a house with trusses. The
older homes I have lived in all my life had stick framed roofs.
Normally 2x8's across the floor (above your ceiling) and they go from
the outer walls to the center support wall. Then the roof is 2X6's
from the outer walls, and come together at the peak. Built that way,
you can make a real attic, build rooms up there and whatever. Trusses
save the expense of the larger dimension lumber, but are all wasted
space. They are fine for a barn or something where you would not need
an attic, but for a house they are just a big waste of space.
Considering the high cost of trusses, I tend to wonder if they are
really worth the savings, because I tend to think the savings is
minimal. You can call me old fashioned, but I was taught to never have
boards end midstream between supports on horizontal runs (between
walls), but I have alot of disputes with modern construction. Don't
even get me started about those particle board floor joists, and if
you use them be sure your toilet never overflows or you might end up
sitting on your basement floor on top of a pile of wood chips.

Well, you can get trusses designed to provide attic space.

Matt