Thanks for the info - Pipedown, you said:

"If the Breaker is GFCI it can be impossible to know if the trip is a
ground
fault or a real short. If you have a breaker and a seperate GFCI
outlet,
you can tell the difference."

I have a non-GFI-breaker that feeds three boxes in a row: a light
switch in a box, a GFI outlet plug and the third is a plain duplex
convenience receptacle. I replaced the light switch and GFI and used a
GFI tester to verify that it was correctly wired (it's got three leds
that show correct wiring and a "tripper" that works as it should).

The easiest place to gain access to the light wires seem like it would
be at the light switch - there are two blue wires there, but at least
one of them goes to the GFI, so if I remove the switch and test
continuity on the wires, won't I be testing *through* the GFI? Will
that be accurate? Do you think those two blue wires go directly to the
bulb?

No, not a low-volt system.

RBM: I see a black plastic square box right next to the electrical
boxes. Maybe that's where the light wires come up from the metal niche.
I'll check it out tomorrow AM! (Too hot in Phoenix to check anything at
4PM - it's 109 right now!

I see no water in the light fixture itself - and just FYI, the bulbs
are supposed to have a life of 1000 hrs or so....this puppy was still
pretty new when it stopped working!