themeanies

PipeDown wrote:
looks like you may find more roots under the vinyl flooring. Roots like
that won't cause a crack but will readily follow one to a source or
nourishment (what could be tastier to a plant than a leaking toilet). I
sure hope it don't lead to a vegitable garden '

May not matter, but that is Ceramic tile. I doubt there are any roots
there, under the mastic and grout. We'll find out when i clean it all
off. No veggies nearby, only shallow root system wildflowers and a
couple of 2-3 year old rose bushes. Nearest big root system comes from
the neighbor about 40ft away from this location.

I finally talked to my plumber who says this is a pretty common
occurrence in our area. He says what usually happens and hadn't
happened yet in our case is that the feeder roots grow up and over and
down into the sewer pipe. Mine hadn't done that, but he's seen them
grow 10+ ft down into the sewer. So his suggestion was to just clean
out the old wax ring and visible root system and then soak with lots of
salt water. I may try the ionic copper another poster suggested. So
looks like things are going to be okay and could have been much worse.

Thanks again to all posters. I'll post a new pic after the cleanup.

tM