Mike Hartigan

In article ,
says...
On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 22:41:43 -0500, Mike Hartigan
wrote:

Sorry, I guess "pump is shot" is a bit vague. Basically, it's not
leaking, but when I turn it on, the motor spins but the water doesn't
go anywhere.

There is nothing inside the pump that would fail due to not having
water other than the seal as others have stated. The impeller doesn't
actually touch anything in there.

Prime the pump and turn it back on. If your feeling really
industrious remove the impellerand replace the disk seal otherwise
watch for leaks and replace it you see any.

The motor bearings are usually what ends the life of these things.
Often the shaft seal starts leaking and is allowed to continue to leak
until it ruins the bearing. We usually replace that seal every couple
years just to be on the safe side in the pool and well pumps.

I suspect that the impeller is no longer connected to the motor
shaft. The motor spins freely with no apparent resistance - as I
said it takes a few seconds to spin down after shutting it off.
Perhaps the heat simply caused the impeller to detach from the shaft?
The priming tank is full so that's not the problem. No leaks
anywhere.