Eric Tonks

I see a solution.

Do a return, but make it short. You cut it the same length of the short
cabinets with a 45 degree angle, and fill in the space behind it with a
short piece fitted in. this will leave a small opening under the angle
formed by the crown moulding return. You back this with a piece of matching
cabinet material to fill the space.

"Ken" wrote in message
ups.com...

Melissa wrote:

According to the installer, if I
have two cabinets of the same depth, but different heights, butted up to
one another, and both with crown moulding, the crown moulding on the
lower height cabinet will not go flush up against the side of the taller
height cabinet.

Correct.

That crown moulding, because of the way it's tilted
out, would end up showing the side of the moulding instead of returning
back on itself, because it wouldn't have anything to return to, since
the neighboring cabinet is the same depth. So it would look like a
shelf sticking out on some places, rather than looking like it's just
the crown.

You *can* have a regular miter at the ends, it's just a *real* short
piece of crown. I don't know what you call it when you do that, but
it's just like the apron under a window sill. Returns at each end that
don't extend beyond the plane that the crown is mounted on.

He suggests changing the depth of some of the cabinets, either 2 inches

in
on the middles or 2 inches out on the end/tall cabinets. The two pantry
cabinets aren't affected, as they are already countertop depth.

That would be my suggestion also, just my opinion though.

So, the question is, is there some resolve that can be suggested other
than decreasing or increasing the depth of any of the cabinets, and
without having them all be the same height.

Should be no problem to do as I suggested above, just make sure you
like the look of that as opposed to the varying depth of the cabinets.

Ken