Edwin Pawlowski

"Sandy K." wrote in message
Kiln dried Spruce
Kilnn dried Fir
Oak treated with linseed oil
Red Cedar
Mahogony

Pricing seems to be dependant upon which wood is used - the list is least
expensive to most. Can anyone provide me with info as to how each of
these
woods, left in their natural state (except the Oak) will do in an outside
environment?

Is that red or white oak? White is good for outdoors, red is not.

The spruce and fir will deteriorate the fastest, especially if it is in
contact with dirt. White oak and cedar are about tied for next, mahogany
best. You did not mention cypress or Spanish cedar, but they are good
outdoors also.

In any case, I'd not use linseed oil. There are oils, such as made by
Penofin that are vastly better for preserving wood. I just bought a gallon
of Penofin and it was about $38. Excellent stuff though. I used it on some
mahogany and it still looks like new after a couple of years.