CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

HomeBrewer wrote:
In the middle of a $15,000 kitchen remodel my "self-proclaimed"
contractor was put in jail. It was 3 weeks ago and he failed to finish
the job. I had a contract with him in which I paid $3500 a week until
the job was finished. The bad part is I had already paid him $12,500
when he went to jail. I have since hired a new "professional"
contractor to bail me out (for $3000) and along with my 80+ hours of
labor and $1000 in materials. Lot's of the work had to be redone.

The dead beat is out of jail now and He will not talk to me. He said
that he had 2 days on left on this job before he left, and that he
doesn't owe me anything. I have spent 2 weeks fixing his work and it's
still not complete. I have since found out that he is not even licensed
and probably doesn't have insurance. I have learned a valuable lesson -
about checking license numbers...bonded, insured etc..but it's too late
for this deal. Either way, I really want to burn this guy, before he
burns someone else, but now I don't have a lot of money to pay court
fees. I have been told that here in FL - even if I win in court, there
is no guarantee that I'll ever see a dime of my money back.

What are my options?

eodx2_at_cox.net

Just because someone else has shown an ability to do better work does
not mean this guy shafted you. Looks like he showed up, and put his
best foot forward. I don't see how he could finish the job if he is in
jail, nor how that makes him a dead-beat. He had a pretty good excuse...

If you found someone better that is fine. But don't feel shafted by
somebody that did the best he could do, even if it was inferior.
Perhaps the person that shafted you is the one that recommended him for
the job.

--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert