Dan

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 16:39:11 -0700, G Henslee
wrote:

Fred wrote:
I have a building in San Francisco where I had a licensed contractor did
some major work. A permit was pulled, contractor did the work, I was shown a
final inspection (so I thought) from this contractor so final payment was
released. Now many years gone by and now trying to sell the property, my
real estate agent requested a (CCR?) report and to my dismay the San
Francisco building department stated no final permit was issued for this
work. Permit expired long ago, now what?

Everyone's an expert here, including me so you're going to be advised to
do everything but blow up the building. Then again someone may suggest
that as well. But, it's really very simple what you need to do,
allthough the process may not be so simple.

First attempt to make contact with the contractor and regardless of
whether he tells you to pack sand or not, next thing is for you to go
the building department and tell them what's happened. They will no
doubt require you to take out another permit. Depending upon the scope
of the work that was performed as well as their inspection records for
the job they may have additional req's as well. They may or may not have
original drawings and specs.

You may end up suing the former contractor, you may not, but you have
to start at the building dept. Noa t in usenet.

I'm a building official and in a case like yours I'd probably come
out and do a final inspection. In the absence of gross violations,
I'd issue the final. I have better things to do than to **** off
citizens that are trying to do the right thing.

Dan