HeadHunter wrote:
"dean" wrote:

Because every professional user I have ever seen is using
10W30 engine oil. Now I'm not about to put that into my
Stihls but I was just wondering if I am wasting money on
expensive bar oil?

Any comments?

Skipping the big long thread in the middle on this.

I have only ever put USED motor oil for my bar oil. I have 2 stihls
that are about 20 and 13 years old respectfully. I have replaced
the oil pumps in each saw once for 70~80 dollars Canadian, parts and
labour each time. Each saw is expected to cut and rip about 60~75
cords of firewood each year. I do believe I have saved good amount
of money over the last 20 years by using used motor oil and getting
new pumps rather than using new motor oil or bar oil.

It works for me.

Used motor oil contains various carcinogens and slowly makes its way
down to groundwater. Why use it to save 25 cents a day?