Vic Dura

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 12:49:15 GMT, in alt.home.repair
evaporator ice formation "Travis Jordan" wrote:

Vic Dura wrote:
I'm just curious as to what the theory behind that is.

When the refrigerant charge is low the evaporator coil gets starved for
refrigerant and this results in reduced pressure at the inlet piston or
expansion valve, thus allowing the refrigerant to vaporize at a lower
temperature - below 32 degrees. At this point the first part of the
coil will freeze.

Ok, that makes perfect sense to me. Thanks for the clear explanation.