HopsNBarley

"Charlie"
Did you use thinset?

I am the second owner and it was built by a local contractor so I'm not
famaliar with what was used, the slab does not appear to have been painted
and the mastic or what ever was used to apply the tile is a hard white
coating and I would say about half is stuck to the floor and the same to

the
tile in patches. I don't know what thinset is.

I would venture to say that the problem is the wrong adhesive was used. The
adhesive should of been thinset (which resembles concrete) If there were
any cracks in your floor, usually the tile cracks with it and does not lift.
Tap all the tiles and pop up any of those that sound hollow, and buy some
thinset and replace them, hopefully the others will be fine...but I bet you
end up replacing the entire floor.

Glenn