AL

Harry K wrote:

AL wrote:

Charlie Self wrote:

My objection to used motor oil on chainsaw bars is simpler. It is too
thin, likely to get flung off, and provide almost no protection. That's
the same objection I'd have to running it on a motorcycle, or bicycle,
chain.

Hmmm, *my* motorcycle doesn't have a self oiling chain??? SO! To keep it
lubricated and keep the o-rings supple it is necessary to use a lube
that doesn't throw off. The chainsaw however has a continuous flow of
oil to the chain. Using used motor oil instead of thicker bar oil just
means refilling the oil reserve more often.

snip

AL

So just what do you think happens to a chainsaw chain as it goes over
the tip of the bar? That's right, it tries to sling oil off just like
your motorcycle does going around the sprocket. Same reason you want
some tack additive in the oil. Used motor doesn't have it. Using your
logic, you should be using used motor oil for your motorcycle chain.

Harry K

Try actually reading before responding.

No, my argument is that, since the chainsaw is self oiling with a
constant flow of oil from the resevoir to replace what is thrown off or
dragged off by cutting the wood, it is not as important to have a sticky
oil as it is for a motorcycle chain that receives an occasional oiling
that must adhere to the chain for as long as possible thus making the
sticky oil necessary - whew...

As to whether used motor oil works for chainsaws, just go back up the
thread for proof.

AL