Colbyt

"Ken Moiarty" wrote in message
news:BYdwe.1819374$Xk.1125184@pd7tw3no...
Background: I'm trying to modify my attic a little bit in order to store
some things up there. Currently I'm busy fastening 3/4" plyboard over the
ceiling rafters (so objects to be stored won't crash thru the drywall
ceiling). However movement/activity up there is hampered by the fact that
the roof is supported by factory produced 2x4 trusses, as these are

composed
of many cross members that switch back-and-forth at oblique angles between
the upper and lower rafter sections of each truss. It would certainly

make
my attic storage efforts easier if some of these cross-members could

somehow
be removed out of the way (that is... in such a way as to not compromise

the
structural integrity of my roof, of course).

Therefore I'm requesting feedback on the following idea: 'Sistering'

(i.e.
reinforcing with) 2x6s to the topmost rafters, followed by removal of some
of the supporting cross-members of said trusses. Not being a carpenter or
structural engineer of any kind, I'm seeking informed comments/advice from
others before going further with this.

Thanks.

Ken

You are joking aren't you???????????

Most residential trusses are designed to hold up the roof and the drywall.

Attic junk not included. Floor load not included.

Colbyt