cowboy

the outside unit must be outside to work correctly, but a roof is OK

also, it needs to be out of direct sunlight if possible, you will save a lot
of money if it is in shade, so I would consider a little hut over it, if
mounting on the roof, just make sure that the unit has plenty of space on
all sides and on top, at least 2' all around, and the airflow around it is
not restricted by the "hut"

natural shade is fine too, such as from a tree or neighboring high-rise
building

cheers!

cowboy

"Jason" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,
I am investigating the possibility of installing a
ductless split AC system in my small apartment (665 sq
ft).

My question is whether the "outside" unit of the split
system needs to be outside or on a roof? Can it be in
the utility closet which currently houses the furnace
and water heater?

thank you for any feedback,
Jason.