Bob Morrison

In a previous post Ken Moiarty says...
Therefore I'm requesting feedback on the following idea: 'Sistering' (i.e.
reinforcing with) 2x6s to the topmost rafters, followed by removal of some
of the supporting cross-members of said trusses. Not being a carpenter or
structural engineer of any kind, I'm seeking informed comments/advice from
others before going further with this.

Ken:

STOP!!!!

What you are suggesting is a recipe for disaster.

1) It is quite likely that the trusses were NOT designed for attic
storage.

2) Cutting any truss members will void any warranty that the truss
manufacturer may have given or may be implied in your state law. In
other words if the roof collapses, you will have no legal recourse.

3) Rent a storage locker. It will be cheaper and much much safer.

--
Bob Morrison, PE, SE
R L Morrison Engineering Co