Joseph Meehan

Ken Moiarty wrote:
Background: I'm trying to modify my attic a little bit in order to
store some things up there. Currently I'm busy fastening 3/4"
plyboard over the ceiling rafters (so objects to be stored won't
crash thru the drywall ceiling). However movement/activity up there
is hampered by the fact that the roof is supported by factory
produced 2x4 trusses, as these are composed of many cross members
that switch back-and-forth at oblique angles between the upper and
lower rafter sections of each truss. It would certainly make my
attic storage efforts easier if some of these cross-members could
somehow be removed out of the way (that is... in such a way as to not
compromise the structural integrity of my roof, of course).
Therefore I'm requesting feedback on the following idea: 'Sistering'
(i.e. reinforcing with) 2x6s to the topmost rafters, followed by
removal of some of the supporting cross-members of said trusses. Not
being a carpenter or structural engineer of any kind, I'm seeking
informed comments/advice from others before going further with this.

Thanks.

Ken

What you are suggesting would require re-engineering of each and every
truss you are killing. All the parts of a truss work together so if you
eliminate one, you have in essence eliminated them all.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit