Mike Lewis

wrote in message
On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 23:14:04 -0700, "SteveB"
wrote:

wrote in message
. ..
I want to gat a deck on my home. I had a builder extimate the cost at
$12,500. That's rediculous. I dont think it should cost more than
$1000. How much do YOU think a deck should cost?

Could you please give us a hint? Dimensions? Materials? Height above
ground?

Anything will help..............

Steve

OK, I should have mentioned that.

I want it coming off the side of my house at gutter level, which is 18
feet above the ground, and attached to the gable end of the house.
The present attic window will become the door. I plan to do the
window to door conversion myself. The house is 26 feet wide so the
deck will also be 26 feet wide. The deck will extend 60 feet away
from the house. At which point, (because of the hill in back), the
end of the deck will be 42 feet above ground level and will cross over
my driveway. It will be built of all treated lumber and posts, with a
railing on all sides except by the house gable, and a stairway will go
down to the roof of my garage, then to the ground. The stairs will
turn on the garage roof, allowing for an 8 foot square sub deck on
that roof. It appears there will be a total of 29 to 32 steps. They
told me the longest posts on the end need to be 48 feet long.
$12,000 is rediculous !!!!

Well, I'll bite, even if your pulling my leg. The volume of material for
a deck that size is probably 7-8K alone ... let alone the labor cost.
48 feet above the ground!!!! What are you crossing ... a moat?

Mike