SQLit

"Shamenize" wrote in message
news:Jz_ve.110295$xm3.30864@attbi_s21...
I'm trying to replace a light dimmer switch - it controls 8x 60W bulbs -
there may be another lamp on the circuit but if so, it is sealed up in the
ceiling and unused now. The current dimmer switch is a Slater 2000W (!!)
switch - I'm having a devil of a time replacing it and it occurs to me

that
I may not need one able to handle that kind of wattage. Am I correct in

the
assumption that I would be able to fall down to a 600W or so dimmer

switch?
Or am I playing games with my lighting? And in addition - what IS the
general opinion on regular incandescent bulbs on dimmer switches? Any
feelings on the whole "singing bulbs" thing? Thanks for any assistance

with
this!

Shaman

In my experience if I keep the wattage of the lamps at 80% or less of the
dimmer there are less changeouts of the dimmer.

I had a customer that was toasting a couple of 2000w dimmers a month. I had
to wait until midnight and then I could go and change them. So I asked why
install 100w lamps and dim them to 50%? Why not install 60 watt lamps and
dim to 10 %. Have not been back in several years now.
I personally like levels of light, not dimmers so my house has a plethora of
switches. Not one dimmer.

If your dimming down to 10-20% of lighting I would go with a 1000w dimmer.