Chip C

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message
If you paid half of the cost of the fence, which you should have done,

Why should he have paid for part of the fence? If my neighbor puts up a
fence, that is his business, not mine and I'll be damned if I'd pay a penny
of it.

In some places, the rule is that if either neighbour wants a fence,
they can put one up on the property line and force the other neighbour
to pay for half the cost. The cost is based on a "basic" fence, ie the
cheapest chainlink that can be found, and the nicer side, if there is
one, must face the neighbour that didn't ask for it. Of course if the
two parties are on speaking terms they can come to whatever agreeement
suits them.

That's the way it works around here. Someone posted a legal term to
this NG a while ago, something like "adverse benefit" or something. The
idea is that the law recogizes a fence as a benefit to you even if you
don't want it. Like airbags. Don't want them? Tough. Gotta have them,
gotta pay for them.

I guess an implicit corollary is that the neighbour is permitted to set
foot on the other property to put the fence up, too.

From what I read on this NG, in other places that seems not to be the

way things work and fences on property lines are rare.

Chip C
Toronto