NSN

Default Drilling Lucite

Over the years I have had many occasions to drill Lucite or similar
materials. No problem drilling small holes in the material (1/8" to
1/4") when in my drill press where I can drill slowly. However, when I
drill the material and it is free standing, I have much trouble with
the drill bit "grabbing" the material and causing small fractures.
The bits I have been using are just the ordinary HSS. I have a
project coming up where I will be drilling many 3/32" holes in an
acrylic computer case. It appears that I will not be able to use my
drill press. Any suggestions as to technique or drill bits?

Thanks.

Norm

Norman S. Nadel, M.D.
Retired, Chief Urology