Jack Sandweiss

HvacTech2 wrote:
Hi Jack, hope you are having a nice day

On 26-Jun-05 At About 05:48:25, Jack Sandweiss wrote to All
Subject: Corsair AC unit squeaks loudly---new symptoms

JS From: Jack Sandweiss

JS HvacTech2 wrote:

Hi Jack, hope you are having a nice day On 26-Jun-05 At About
02:15:54, Jack Sandweiss wrote to All Subject: Corsair AC unit
squeaks loudly---new symptoms From: Jack Sandweiss

JS No, it is a separate AC outside. I have
JS an Apollo (water) heating system, but, AFAIK, that is totally
JS independent of the AC. I've been told by many that the whoosh is
JS normal on shutdown of the AC. But, now it is occuring intermittently
JS during operation, with or without an accompanying squealing,
JS which sounds to me like a motor that needs oil. I know about motors,
JS but not AC units. The squealing has a "revolving" rhythm to it. The
JS fan is "self-lubricating". if this is an A/C only this sound is not
normal. what you are hearing is the compressors internal relief
valve opening to relieve excess pressure. you should turn the unit
off immediately before it is permanently damaged. I'm trying to

JS avoid buying an entire new unit, if, replacing the condenser
JS motor is all it needs. Thanks for your reply. if you turn it off now
and have it repaired it may be ok but it could have been damaged
already. sometimes these internal relief valves can open and stay
opened which means you will need a new compressor. of course running
this long with the valve opening has also put quite a strain on the
system but if you get it repaired it could last for several years
or it could fail in a week, a day, HvacTech2 =-.. "I couldn't
Etc... -= find the remote control to the remote control."- s.w. ___ Tag
0.92á+[DM]
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++ spam
protection measure, Please remove the 33 to send e-mail

JS Thanks for the reply. I'll have the HVAC man come out. But, could a
JS failing condenser fan, bring about the relief valve problem?

yes it will.

-= HvacTech2 =-

Thanks so much for the quick reply. Well, I guess it's my gamble. The
total time it has operated with the intermittent whooshing has been
about 5 hours. One final question, if you don't mind: Can the relief
valve be separtely replaced, or is it part of the compressor? I'm trying
to determine if I should have the fan and relief valve replaced as an
alternative if that is a possibility. And, if you're saying that there
should be NO whoosh after turning it off, then that might indicate to
me, that the valve is already damaged, or is this poor logic.

The bummer is that this is a 4 year old house, and we're not the first
owner. My sister's Lennox lasted 30 years.

Jack