Ashton Crusher

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 08:23:41 -0700, "SteveB"
wrote:

"Bob Bonneville" wrote in message
I have a need to locate my buried Invisible Fence wiring at several
locations prior to digging. I have been considering getting a metal
detector for other reasons, on eBay. Will a metal detector work for
locating this wire? If so, will the cheaper ones do the job?

Dowse it. Take a piece of straight coat hanger wire that is 15" long. Bend
a right angle at 3". Hold the short ends loosely in your fists and have
your fists close to you between waist high and belt high. You can also hold
them in two old tabasco bottles. You want them to be fairly level. They
will point in front of you. If you walk over a wire, or a pipe, they will
come together, and point at each other. I have used this countless times to
locate stuff.

You can get a used metal detector for a couple of hundred bucks, and it
depends how deep the wire is buried as to how easily the metal detector will
find it. A White'e 5000, 6000, or 6DB would do it.

Steve

We used to have an old guy at work who located water wells that way.
We drilled a lot of dry holes.....