Kevin G.

Default HELP: Outdoor BBQ - Tile countertop in extreme temps

Hello all,

We're in the process of building an outdoor BBQ, using a Weber Summit
Gold Built-In gas grill
(http://www.weber.com/bbq/pub/grill/2..._sum_gdbi.aspx).

On the structure itself that is being built, I would like to use a tile
countertop surface. However, my mason has no experience tiling on
exterior surfaces and doesn't know the exact materials to use.

I'm located in Pennsylvania, which has the full array of weather
conditions. Hot in the summer (today alone it was 95), and freezing
and snow in the winter. So with this major temperature swing in mind,
what I'm looking for advice on is this:

1. What type of tile would be best for this countertop surface, that
will hold up to the elements?
2. Is there any special mortar addative that will need to be used when
adhesing this tile?
3. Same goes for grout... any special grout or grout addative that
should be used to allow for the temp changes?

Kevin G.