Art Todesco

I would ask:
Who owns the lift pump? Leading to who
is responsible when it breaks?
When the city puts in local sewers, how
much will it cost me?
I would talk to the city.

miamicuse wrote:
I am looking at a property in south Florida area and there is something that
concerns me.

The owner told me all the houses in the neighborhood are on septic tanks.
But his house is not. His house was originally built and owned by the city
engineer at the time, and he had a lift station installed on the property.
He showed it to me, it looked like a well with a handle to open and close
the valve. He told me this property has a direct connection to the city
sewer and there is a primary pump and a back up secondary pump to pump the
waster water to the main sewer line. The main sewer line is not far from
the property, but the city is slow in getting them connected (he said the
city has been saying they will be connected "soon" for seventeen years).

He said he has someone that comes by to service/check the lift station once
every quarter, and he has to go out and check to see if it is ok every month
himself to make sure the pump continue to work.

I am not sure of all the specifics of what is involved to check to see if
the pump still works, is this a maintainance nightmare I am getting into or
this is a neat feature to have? Does having a "lift station" enhance
property value?

MC