Harry

low alcilinity (sp?). I assume that is why the pool is a bit green. I
installed some chemical to raise it last night. Its above ground 4 feet
deep. I cannot see the bottom and keep vacuuming up leaves from the bottom.

1. is it a waste to place that chemical in there if there are still a few
leaves at the bottom?

2. cholorine is low. Just shocked. Will shocking affect the alki level?

Considering emptying your pool and cleaning it out. If your drinking
water is good - you will spend a lot less on the cost of fresh water
than the cost of all the chemicals to get that pool back to normal.

It is like working on a house - sometimes it is easier to start from
scratch than it is to renovate an older one - also sometimes it is less
expensive to start from nothing.